TRB Lecturers in Government Polytechnic Colleges English Syllabus 2017

Discussion in 'TRB - Teachers Recruitment Board' started by SaGo, Jul 2, 2017.

1. SaGo

SaGo Moderator

TRB Lecturers in Government Polytechnic Colleges English Syllabus 2017. This is the final syllabus and also remember it is enough to read just this portion to write TRB exam for Lecturers in Govt Polytechnic Colleges.

ENGLISH

UNIT I – CHAUCER TO SHAKESPEARE
    Geoffrey Chaucer: The Book of the Duchess Edmund Spencer: Epithalamion Shakespeare:Sonnet(8,15,24,30,37,40,46,76,82,91,112,116,126,140,144,147,154) Francis Bacon: of Oxford of Nobility of Travel of Friendship of Love Ben Jonson: Volpone or the Fox Christopher Marlowe: Dr. Faustus Sir Jhomas More: Utopia John Webster: The White Devil William Langland: Piers the plowman Shakespeare: The comedy of Errors A Midsummer Night's Dream Hamlet Henry VIII Love's Labour Lost

UNIT 2- JACOBEAN TO AUGUSTAN AGE
    John Milton: Paradise Regained John Dryden: All for Love Alexander pope: The Rape of the Lock Andrew Marwell: Garden Thomas gray: Elegy written in a country churchyard Jonathan swift: A Tale of a Tub Addison and Steele: The spectators and the coverly papers. (Essays 1-10, Macmillan Edn) Oliver Goldsmith: The Deserted village Henry Fielding: Joseph Andrews Samuel Daniel: Christ Victoric Triumph Sir Thomas Brown: The Garden of Cyrus William Blake: Songs of Experience Daniel Defoe: Robinson Crusoe Jonathan Swift: Gulliver's Travels Henry Vaughan: Regeneration

UNIT 3 – ROMANTIC PERIOD
    William Wordsworth: The Daffodils The Solitary Reaper Samuel Taylor Coleridge: Lyrical Ballads Biographia Literaria P. B. Shelly: Ode to the west wind John keats: Ode to Autumn Charles Lamb: The Essays of Elia 1) Oxford in the vacation 2) New year's Eve 3) Dream children: A Reverie 4) The price of chimney-sweeper 5) My Relations Byron: Prometheus Jane Austen: Emma Walter Scott: The Talisman William Hazlit: Characters of Shakespeare's plays. Emily Bronte: Wuthering Heights

UNIT 4 - VICTORIAN AGE
    Tennyson: The princess: A Medley Robert Browning: Men and Women Andrea Del Sarto Mathew Arnold: Rugby Chapel Dover beach. D.G.Rosetti : The Blessed Damozel George Eliot: Romola W.M Thackeray: Vanity Fair R.L.Stevenson: Treasure Island John Ruskein: Sesame and Lilies Charles Dickens: A Tale of two cities.

UNIT 5 - MODERN AND CONTEMPORARY PERIODS
    W.B.Yeats : Sailing to Byzantium Thomas Hardy: The Woodlanders. Virginia Woolf: Mr.Bennet and Mrs.Brown A.L. Huxley: Time Must Have a Stop E.M.Forster: Where Angels Fear to Tread T.S.Eliot: Murder in Cathedral C.P.Snow: Corridors of Power G.B. Shaw: The Devil's Disciple Ezra Pound: The Pisan Cantos Oscar Wilde: The Importance of Being Earnest

UNIT 6 - AMERICAN LITERATURE
    Whitman: When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd H.W.Long Fellow : The May Queen Edgar Allam Poe: The Haunted Palace To my Mother The Lake Emily Dickinson: A something in a Summer's Day Bless God, he went as soldier's How happy is the little Stone This is my Letter to The World. Robert Frost: Blue Berries Wallace Stevens: The Snow man Emerson: The American Scholar Henry James: The lesson of the master O'Neill: The Great God Brown Hawthorne: A House of the Seven Gables Edward Albe: The American Dream Alice Walker: By the light of my Father's smile Mark Twain: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer Earnest Hemingway: The Old Man and The Sea

UNIT 7 - INDIAN AND ENGLISH LITERATURE
    Nissin Ezekiel: Night of the Scorpion A.K. Ramanujam: A River R. Parthasarathy: Lines for a Photograph Toru Dutt: Our Casuarina Tree Sarojini Naidu: The Soul's Prayer Anita Desai: Where shal we go for this summer? Badal Surcar: Evam Indrajit Sri Aurobindo: Rose of God. Arundhati Roy: The God of Small Things Mulk Raj Anand: Untouchable Deshpande: The Dark Holds No Terror Kirish karnard: Tugulaq

UNIT 8 - LANGUAGE AND LINGUISTICS
    Family of Indo European Languages Historical Linguistics LSRW Theories of Language acquisition Dialects Phonology Affixes Derivational and inflectional affixes Morphemes Acronyms Phrase and structures Phonetics and phonology Minimal Pairs Sociolinguistics Semantics and Pragmatics Neurolinguistics Dichotic listening Lingua franca Jargon

UNIT 9 - CRITICISM AND LITERARY THEORIES
    Plato: Republic Francis Bacon: The Advancement of learning Samuel Johnson: On fiction Preface to Shakespeare S.T Coleridge: Biographia Literaria Mathew Arnold: The function of criticism at the present time I A Richards: Practical Criticism Northrop Frye: The critical path T.S.Eliot: Hamlet and his Problems I A Richards: Principles of Literary Criticism Rene Wellek: Concepts of Criticism Aristotle: Poetics Ezra Pound: The ABC of Reading Wayne C. Booth: The Rhetoric of fiction Empson: Seven types of Ambiguity

UNIT 10 - POST COLONIAL LITERATURE AND EUROPEAN LITERATURE IN TRANSLATION
    Atwood: Surfacing Lawrence: The Fire Dwellers P.K.Page : Adolescence Chinua Achebe: Arrow of God Wole Soyinka: A Dance of the Forests Wilfered Campbell: The Winter Lakes AG.Smith: The White House Ondaatje: There's a trick with a knife I'm learning to do George Ryga: Portrait of Angelica In the shadow of the vulture Ibsen: The lady from the sea Moliere: The comic pastoral Sir Thomas More: The Four Last Things